Here is a staple part of my weekly meals. I try to make it more when organic avocados are seasonal. No matter how you have made it in the past, I invite you to try this recipe just once. You will be hooked. You do not need to eat this with chips. It is an amazing accompaniment to seafood, a topping on spicy chili, a side to roast chicken. You get the idea – do not limit it’s use!
Ingredients (makes about 2 cups)
• 2 ripe organic avocados
• 1/4 to 1/2 small red onion, finely minced
• 1 large clove garlic, minced and mashed to a paste with 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
• 5 teaspoons fresh organic lime juice (2 to 3 limes)
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
• 3 tablespoons chopped fresh organic cilantro
• 1/2 organic jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced (optional but recommended)
• 1 small ripe organic tomato, seeded and diced (optional)
Fork, medium bowl with lid or saran wrap, sharp cutting knife and board, citrus juicer with collecting cup.
Tip: If you are making this ahead of time put one of the pits on top of the mixture to further prevent any brownness. (the acid of the lime juice will do this too).
Halve and pit the avocados and scoop the flesh into a bowl. Mash the avocados coarsely with a fork and stir in the remaining ingredients. Can be made 2 hours in advance; cover with wrap or bowl cover and keep chilled.